Thursday, October 05, 2006

Swing on the Subway



see it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUaK4vA4srM



Here is my swing for the subway, disguised as a bag. With 1000 mesh "L-train grey" cordura, webbing, sliders, hooks, velcro, and snaps, I constructed a bag using industrial sewing machines (with help from Greg Thompson). The bag transforms from a backpack, handbag, or book bag of 11x4x12 to a swing of 11x24x2 with adjustable (25" to 50"max) straps that hook around the handrail of the subway. If you want one, I am accepting commissions.

What is the relationship between play and revolution? Creating fissures in reality opens up the possibility for change: change in the everyday/monotonous routine, change in assumptions about 'facts', change in the world in general. The act of "making strange" allows a new perspective for reassessment and critique. Nothing is fixed and anyone can make the environment around them better. I hope that the innocent amusement of swinging on the subway eclipses the atmosphere of suspicion and insulation that random searches (and the motto "if you see something say something") produces.

6 comments:

kendra plumley said...

bring some swings to ri....

ps. how's new york

sfxmaven said...

I love your swing (and your blue chairs make me SO happy). I would commission one in a heartbeat.

INDIGENTE ANDRAJOSO said...

cool

:D

Lowen said...

That's amazing. It's just like I imagined it when you were telling me about it: too good to be true!

Ian Reasor said...

Would you be willing to share your design for those DIY'ers who would like to make one for themselves?

Winemaking Voyage said...

Whom knows why this kind of Industrial Webbing Supplier is so intricate? http://rosemonttextiles.com/weldable-webbing/